Cupcakes, signature/popular dishes, and even Southern Comfort.
Yes, while it seems like the beginning of an unusual list, those items have something in common. They are helping to aid the Gulf’s recovery.
I know, I can hear you asking ‘how?’
Follow me for a moment. While not everyone perhaps can volunteer their services with the clean up effort along the Gulf Coast, there are other ways they can show their support of the Gulf.
Let’s take a look.
- Buttercups Cupcakes (located in Villaggio Shopping Center) in Bossier City, La., is hosting “Cupcakes for the Coast” from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 26. Select from a variety of flavors ($3/cupcake) that include chocolate, vanilla, wedding cake and banana pudding. The business will donate their total gross sale to America’s WETLAND Foundation.
- Over 400 tons of sand will be spread along 200 yard section of Fountain Circle, loacted behind EarlyWorks Children's Museum in Huntsville, Ala., for Rocket City Beach Bash. Scheduled for July 31-August 1, a portion of every admission ($5) sold will go toward helping the recovery along the Alabama Gulf Coast. Bring the entire family and enjoy such activities include a wading pool, an interactive fountain, sand toys and more.
- Three Kimpton hotels restaurants (Central 214 in Dallas, Pacci Ristoraunte in Atlanta, and Area 31 in Miami) are participating in "We Cook While They Clean" fundraiser in support of the Gulf fishing community. Enjoy either Chicken Fried Kobe Steak (Central 214), any of the three seafood dishes at Pacci Ristoraunte or the Oyster Primi (Area 31), and a $1 from the meals will be donated to the Gulf Relief Foundation.
"We as a collective group of chefs and GMs decided that we wanted to help the fishermen who have been wiped out from this horrible tragedy" comments Chef Blythe Beck. "So, chef’s do what chefs do best; and we decided to cook. I chose my dish because of its popularity and I knew I could raise a lot of money for it."
She adds she thinks it's kind of cool that the Kimpton family members are banning together to help out thier neighbors.
"It makes me feel like we are all in this together"
- Through August 31, stay at Hotel Duval in Tallahassee with their special rate, starting at $99/night and the proceeds will be donated to the Florida Audubon Society.
"We wanted to be part of the solution," says Marc Bauer, general manager. "It's not so easy for the average person to come down and clean up the beach. So with the package, they are able to in their own way while enjoying a getaway.
photo credit: Piggy Bank 1, flickr, creative commons by Daniel Y. Go
- Send a friend on Facebook a virtual gift from Southern Comfort's fan page, and they will donate $1 on your behalf to the Gulf Relief Foundation. Begining on July 1, they'll also donate 25 cents from every purchase of certain sized bottles.
- A handful of music venues across the nation will be hosting concerts on July 1 to benefit the Gulf Restoration Network. Help them reach their goal of donating $500,000