Need to take a break from the holiday and winter season madness? Get into the spirit of the winter season when you lace up your skates to take a twirl on the ice.
Discover how nice it can be on ice at any of these ice skating rinks throughout the South.
photo credit: personal collection
- Practice your figure-8s at St. Joseph Medical Center ICE at Discovery Green in Houston through January 17, 2011. Located in the 12-acre park, the rink is set at 22 degrees, and uses recycled water from Linder Lake and powered by renewable energy. $10 to skate; Monday –Thursday, 4 – 10 p.m., Friday –Saturday, 11 a.m. – 11 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Check site for holiday hours.
- Through December 31, you can go Skating on the River at the River Center in Baton Rouge, La. $12 to skate. Check site for available hours.
- Glide along at Memphis (Tenn.) Zoo of Ice through January 30. The tented 5,400-square-foot ice skating rink is located in the picnic area between the Northwest Passage and Teton Trek exhibits. $6 for skate rentals (general zoo admission is required); Skating hours are 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., daily (last admission at 4 p.m., Zoo closes at 5 p.m.) There are also skating hours during Suntrust Zoo Lights, 5:30 – 10 p.m. (last admission at 9 p.m.) Admission to Zoo Lights, $7 and skating, $6. On some selected nights (check the calendar), you can skate ($6) after hours.
- Cool down at Knoxville’s (Tenn.) Holidays on Ice through January 2, 2011. Located in the Market Square district in downtown, the tented rink is opened daily, rain or shine. $10/adult and $7/child, ages 12 and under; Monday –Thursday, 4 – 10 p.m., Friday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 1 0 p.m., and Sunday 1 – 10 p.m. The rink will also open at 2 p.m. on Christmas Day.
- Through January 3, 2001, you can skate with an added dash of elegance at the Astor Holiday Rink at St. Regis in Atlanta, Ga. Twirl under the stars for an hour and then warm up at the outdoor fire (with s’mores, if you so desire.) $30/adult and $18/child, ages 16 and under; Monday – Friday, noon – 9 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Be sure the check out their treat (hot cocoa, hot apple cider and more) packages for children.
- Add ice skating at Centennial Olympic Park as another reason to visit downtown Atlanta, Ga. Through January 30, 2011, you can participate in this popular activity that draws a crowd every year. $7 admission, $2 skate rental; hours of operation vary.
- In a place known for its beaches, ice skating can be a fun diversion during the holiday and winter season. Located at The Village of Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin, along the Beaches of South Walton in the Florida panhandle, the ice skating rink is open until February 14. $10 to skate; hours of operation vary.
- One of the featured activities as St. Augustine, Fla.’s Winter Wonderland is ice skating. Through January 2, you can practice your dips and turns, or just standing up straight on the ice at the Saint Augustine Amphitheatre. $12 for ice skating; hours through December 17, Monday – Friday, 4 – 10 p.m., Saturday – Sunday, noon – 10 p.m. Hours of operation December 18 – January 2, noon – 10 p.m.
- Bigger just may be better at “Winter in the Park” in Winter Park, Fla. Returning for another year, regular patrons might notice that the rink is 20 percent larger than before. Located at Central Park Meadow, the rink is opened until January 9, 2011. $10 to skate; Monday – Thursday, 3 – 9 p.m., Friday 3 - 10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., and Sunday noon – 8 p.m.
- You can’t attend Light Up UCF without visiting the ice skating rink. Located outside the UCF Arena, the rink is opened until January 2. $12 to skate; 11:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m., Sunday – Thursday and 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 a.m., Friday – Saturday.
- Take to the ice at downtown Tampa’s skating rink. Located at Curtis Hudson Waterfront Park, ice skating is available until January 2. $10; Monday – Thursday, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., Friday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., and Sunday, noon – 8 p.m. Holiday hours, Christmas Eve, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Christmas, 4 – 10 p.m.
- MacArthur on Ice in Norfolk, Va., caters not only to the big kids when it comes to ice skating, but also the little ones as well with their own kiddie rink. Here, everyone can enjoy the activity through January 17, 2011. $10 to skate, $8 for military personnel and their families; hours of operation vary.
- Practice your glide, dip and/or twirl at Downtown Hampton (Va.) on Ice through March 6, 2011. Located at Virginia Air & Space Center paver courtyard, the 5,000-square foot rink is part of the Celebrations by the Bay series. $7 to skate, $6 for active military and NASA employees. Hours of operation vary. The rink also offers special holiday hours as well.