It’s a new year and don’t let it pass you by without having some memorable (and fun) experience during your getaways in the South.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
photo credit: cursive calendar, flickr, creative commons courtesy of Your Secret Admiral
- Stay true to two of your goals and/or New Year’s resolutions as you explore Memphis, Tenn. with Rockin’ Running Tours. Offering four different jogging routes, you’re able to take in Memphis is a totally new (and healthy) way.
- Learn how to cook, or brush on your skills by taking a class at a cooking school. Learn the ins and outs of cooking an authentic Creole or Cajun dish in an authentic setting with The New Orleans Cooking Experience. A Chef’s Kitchen in Williamsburg, Va. provides you the opportunity to learn how to create a multi-course meal with the appropriate wine pairings. At Alpharetta, Ga.’s Publix or at the Culinary Gallery in Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., you can hone your culinary techniques or discover how to create specific dishes. Choose from a variety of classes with Viking Cooking Schools, found in such places The Woodlands and Dallas, Texas Greenwood and Ridgeland, Miss., Atlanta, Ga., Memphis and Nashville, Tenn. Choose from either hands-on or demo classes at Wind Creek Cooking Studio at Wind Creek Casino in Atmore, Ala.
- And for those who enjoy eating more than cooking, consider exploring the culinary side of a destination with a tour. Texas Toast Culinary Tours is sure to please every discerning palette. Learn about the many epicurean delights that are found in the Lone Star State. While it’s not a tour, but a trail, if you’re traveling through Mississippi you have to take a look at the state’s culinary trail. Divided in regions, the trail highlights restaurants with history in the area. How about a little history served up with your food? Along the Knoxville Food Tours, you get a helping of both. And no visit to Charleston, S.C. is complete without learning more about one of their greatest treasures: their food. Be sure to take Culinary Tours of Charleston (S.C.) to learn more.
- Go scalloping in Steinhatchee or oystering along Apalachicola Bay, Fla. Try your hand at shrimping in Biloxi, Miss.
- Try kayaking in (and around) Gulf Shores, Ala., Yolo boarding in Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., or surfing in Wrightsville Beach, N.C.
- Go horseback riding in either Augusta, Ga., or Cave City, Ky. For something a little different with horses, try horse surfing in Bradenton, Fla.
- Soar through the trees when you go ziplining. Whether it’s in Georgia, Florida, North Carolina or nearly anywhere in the South, feel the wind hit you as you glide on by.
- Take a bi-plane ride over Atlanta, Ga., Polk City, Fla., or Louisville, Ky.
- Satisfy your need for speed as you take one-or two-day race car driving classes with Sports Car Driving Experience in either Palm Beach or Homestead, Fla. Take it to the limit and more at the BMW Performance Driving School in Greer, S.C.