What does the Oatmeal Festival
in Bertram, Texas, Annual Ocean Springs (Miss.) Art Walk
, Battle for Decatur (Ala.) Civil War Re-enactment
, Labor Day Festival
at Glen Maury Park in Buena Vista, Va., and AppleFest
at Jackson Orchard in Bowling Green, Ky., have in common?
Those are just some of the events happening across the South this Labor Day weekend.
Yes, the Labor Day weekend holiday is here; and perhaps it sneaked up on you and left you unprepared without any plans.
Well, there's no need to worry because in this region there's a lot going on, guaranteeing a memorable holiday weekend for you.
- Through September 3, the World Championship BBQ Goat Cook-Off in Brady, Texas features something for all. Festivities include arts and crafts, bbq goat meat and a street dance to end the event. Times vary for activities; some may require a small admission.
- It’s all about good, ole-fashion family fun at Drake Salt Works Festival in Goldonna, La. On September 3, there’ll be arts and crafts, food, ice cream contests, parade and much more. Activities are scheduled to kick-off around 10 a.m. Live music entertainment begins at 11 a.m. Check website for admission information.
- File this festival under “interesting” and “one-of-a-kind.” The Coon Dog Cemetery Labor Day Celebration near Tuscumbia, Ala., is a time to remember the over 200 coon dogs buried at the cemetery. On September 5, from noon – 4 p.m., the celebration also includes bbq, live music entertainment and a liars contest. Admission is free.
- Folk Life Festival on September 3 at Sautee-Nacoochee Center in Sautee Ga., allows you to experience the folk life traditions of the southern Appalachians through demonstrations, tours and pottery. Admission is free.
- Up, up and away at the 13th annual Sky High Hot Air Balloon Festival at Callaway Gardens (Pine Mountain, Ga.)Through September 4, activities include morning and evening balloon launches, live music entertainment, special children’s activities, lake activities and much more. Times vary for different events; general admission $12.50 until 9 a.m., $25 after 9 a.m. Some activities may require an additional fee. Check website for the latest information.
- Listen to the beat of the music during the Memphis (Tenn.) Music & Heritage Festival on September 3 – 4. From 11 a.m. – 11 p.m., everyone can enjoy a variety of music genres, from jazz to bluegrass to gospel and more on different stages. Admission is free.
- Don’t miss out on the largest fireworks display on Labor Day, the Boomsday Festival in Knoxville, Tenn. Scheduled for September 4, gates open at 1 p.m., with food vendors, a family fun zone and live entertainment. There’s a BBQ blowout at 4 p.m., followed by more music and then fireworks at 9:30 p.m. Admission is free, but there may be admission for some activities.
- Watching the pros (and amateurs) take on the waves at the 26th annual NKF Pro-Am Surf Festival in Cocoa Beach, Fla., can be a fun way to end the summer. Through September 5, it’s all happening at Cocoa Beach Pier. The events also offers clinics, demonstrations, live entertainment and more. Scheduled on September 4 is the Taste of Brevard, 6 – 10 p.m., at the DoubleTree Oceanfront. Times vary for different events, check website for the latest schedule. Admission is free, however there is a small parking fee. Also, for the Taste of Brevard, there’s a suggested $20 donation.
- The Village of Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin (Fla.) is the setting for the Art Expo. Through September 4, from 5 – 10 p.m., you can view, browse and purchase art from artists across the southeast.
- It doesn’t get much better than barbecue, beach and music. You can experience it for yourself at Smoke on the Beach & Beach, Boogie & BBQ in Myrtle Beach, S.C. through September 4. In addition, there’s contests, demonstrations, meet and greets, and more. Times vary for activities, check schedule on the website for current times. $10 wristband can be purchased on noon Saturday to sample the BBQ, children can sample for free.
- Go build and fly your own kite at the 9th Beech Mountain (N.C.) Annual Mile High Kite Festival on September 4. From 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., there’ll be flying demonstrations, live entertainment and much more for the entire family. Admission is free.
- Head to downtown Herndon, Va., for their 32nd annual Labor Day Festival on September 5. This event, starting at noon, features live entertainment, a craft, food, wine and brew. $8 entrance, no alcohol tastings; $15 entrance, with alcohol tastings.
photo credit: sunglasses, flickr, creative commons by _vivandguyen