Make it a Mother’s Day that your mom (or that special woman in your life) will remember. Present her with an experience that truly reflects her personality. And who knows, you might start a new tradition.
If your mom loves…
- to garden, spend the afternoon smelling the roses at the Municipal Rose Gardens & Museum in Tyler, Texas. Explore the various gardens at The Birmingham (Ala.) Botanical Gardens. Take a creek cruise at Brookwood Gardens in Myrtle Beach, S.C., to learn more about the history of the surroundings. Reconnect with nature at Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, Fla.
- the outdoors, get her on YOLO board to paddle through Western Lake in Santa Rosa Beach, Fla. Savor the view from above in a hot air balloon ride over Asheville, N.C. Explore Celebration, Fla., aboard two-wheels on a Segway tour. Experience both horseback riding and the ocean in a new way by going horse surfing in Bradenton, Fla.
- an adrenaline rush, she’ll definitely enjoy zip lining. Take to the skies in a biplane ride at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Fla. Battle the rapids along the Pigeon River in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains.
- the arts, spend the night at 21c Museum Hotel in Louisville, Ky. The property showcases works of art from emerging and known contemporary artists from around the world. Enjoy the art (and scenery) at The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens in Jacksonville, Fla. View western art at the Museum of Western Art in Kerrville, Texas; or Booth Western Art Museum in Cartersville, Ga.
- to try regional cuisine or cooking, take to her Calabash, N.C., to sample calabash-style seafood. Create a food-sampling tour of the restaurants in New Orleans or Virginia’s diners. Select places to try off Alabama’s “101 Dishes to Try Before You Die.” Head down the Boudin Trail in Lake Charles, La. Learn to cook like the pros with a cooking class from the Viking Cooking School in Greenwood, Miss.