NORTH CAROLINA

Visiting Carolina Inn

An elegant, yet casual facility is how Jack Schmidt, regional director of sales and marketing, describes The Carolina Inn

“We're a bustling little property whose 88 year history has been well-preserved.”

Situated on the UNC Chapel Hill campus in Chapel Hill, N.C., and close to downtown, Schmidt refers to the property as  the university's living room. In addition to its location, when the property was donated to the campus in 1935, there was one stipulation from the owner. After meeting expenses, profits were to be donated to support the library.

And that tradition continues today.

However, for visitors it is the first impression of the university, points out Schmidt. “Staying at the The Carolina Inn is like staying at a home.”

The property, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and a member of National Trust Historic Hotels of America, offers 185 guestrooms, which includes seven suites. The rooms include all of the modern amenities you need (or want) while on vacation. The rooms also feature many eco-friendly touches, like having 80 percent of the guestroom furniture produced in North Carolina with the remaining 20 percent produced within 500 miles of Chapel Hill, thus reducing carbon emissions during delivery.

There is also an on-site fitness center, and the property has partnered with The Spa at Bell House to offer in-room massages. Just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you can't stay healthy and fit, or indulge in a deep tissue or Swedish massage. Don't forget to enjoy the afternoon tea, either.

Then there's the dining, which Schmidt describes as a “very interesting and elegant dining experience.”

Carolina Crossroads Bar and Grill holds the distinction of being one of four restaurants in the state to receive both Forbes Four-Star and AAA Four Diamond ratings. Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch, the menus are seasonal and reflects the chef's strong beliefs in using local products. Don't forget to leave room for dessert.

Schmidt  points out the property is very involved in the community through their events.

“There's always something going on at the inn.”

With a large front yard, The Carolina Inn host many game day events in the fall. Their calendar is packed throughout the year with activities like “12 Days of Christmas,” celebrating the holidays,  “Friday's on the Front Porch,” April – October, featuring live bluegrass music, “Birdhouses on Parade,” March – April, highlighting several locally-made birdhouses and more.

“We are proud of our service and property,” comments Schmidt. “We view ourselves more as stewards of The Carolina Inn, and that pride show through to our guests.”

- ADVERTISEMENT -